· Create a PowerPoint with the intended audience to be a community health department.
· Focus on a real or fictional disaster that has or could affect your area. For example, if you live on the Florida coast you might choose potential hurricane. You can use New Orleans Louisiana which is also hurricane prone.
· Discuss the role of the Community Health Nurse in each stage of disaster. You should include a few slides on each stage of disaster: preparedness, response, recovery with specific activities and resources that the public health nurse would use in each stage.
· Identify other agencies that might be involved.
The assignment should be submitted in PowerPoint format, with at least 10 content slides (in addition to a title slide and reference slide) and include at least 4 scholarly sources other than provided materials. Please omit objective slide. I can include that.
Read the article below before starting on this assignment.
URL – https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/hurricane.html
What Should You Do Before a Hurricane?
Make plans to stay safe.
your best protection from high winds and flooding. Have a plan to evacuate and a plan to shelter safely. Take time now to gather the supplies and knowledge you will need when the storm arrives.
Plan to Evacuate
If advised to evacuate, do so immediately and go to a safe place.
Know where you will go
, how you will get there, and where you will stay.
· Plan well in advance if you will need help leaving or use public transportation.
· Mobile/manufactured/trailer homes and recreational vehicles (RVs) cannot provide safe shelter from tropical-storm or hurricane-force winds.
Plan to Shelter Safely
· Be ready to live without power, water, gas, phone, and internet for a long time.
· Practice going to a designated safe shelter for high winds. The next best protection is a small, interior, windowless room in a sturdy building on the lowest level that is not likely to flood.
· If you are in an area that is likely to flood, designate a location on higher ground that you can move to before floodwaters reach you.
Download the Hurricane Safety Checklist
Red Cross checklists are available in multiple languages.
Get Preparation Tips for the Whole Family
People with Disabilities
Gather Emergency Supplies
Gather food, water, and medicine.
Organize supplies into a Go-Kit and a Stay-at-Home Kit.
· Go-Kit: 3 days of supplies that you can carry with you. Include backup batteries and chargers for your devices (cell phone, CPAP, wheelchair, etc.)
· Stay-at-Home Kit: 2 weeks of supplies. Stores and pharmacies might be closed.
· Have a 1-month supply of medication in a child-proof container.
· Keep personal, financial, and medical records safe.
Plan to Stay Connected
· Sign up for free emergency alerts from your local government.
· Have a way to charge your cell phone.
· Have a
Learn Emergency Skills
· Be ready to live without power.
· Learn how to use a
· Plan how you will use powered medical equipment.
What’s the Difference Between a Hurricane and a Typhoon?
Hurricanes and typhoons are the same type of storm – the name changes based on where they occur.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THESE STORMS
How Can You Protect Your Home Before a Hurricane?
Prepare for Wind
· Secure items outside, such as lawn furniture and trash cans, that could be picked up by high winds and hurt someone.
· Anchor objects that would be unsafe to bring inside, such as gas grills and propane tanks.
· Trim or remove trees close enough to fall on your home. Review insurance policies.
· Protect windows with permanent storm shutters or pre-cut plywood.
Prepare for Flooding
· Clean out drains, gutters and downspouts.
· Stockpile protective materials such as plastic sheeting and sandbags.
· Consider installing a sump pump with battery backup.
· Consider elevating the heating system, water heater, and electric panel.
How Much Do You Know About Hurricane Safety?
Test your knowledge with our quick quiz. You might ace the test or you might learn something new — either way, you win!
TAKE THE HURRICANE SAFETY QUIZ
What Should You Do During a Hurricane?
If ordered to evacuate, leave immediately.
If authorities advise or order you to evacuate, grab your emergency kit and go right away. If you are not in a mandatory evacuation zone, you will need to decide whether to leave the area, move to higher ground nearby, or stay in your home. If you decide to stay home, remember that even if the high winds and floodwaters do not reach your home, you may lose power and water, and you may not be able to leave your home for several days if the roads are impassable.
· If local authorities advise you to evacuate, go right away.
· Bring your
· Follow evacuation routes and do not try to take shortcuts because they may be blocked.
· Check with local officials for shelter locations.
Download the FREE Red Cross Emergency App
to find shelters near you.
Staying at Home
· Determine your best protection for high winds and flooding.
· Take shelter in a designated storm shelter or an interior room for high winds.
· Stay away from glass windows and doors.
· Move to higher ground before flooding begins.
Never walk, swim, or try to drive through floodwater.
Remember: Turn Around! Don’t Drown!
How Does the Red Cross Help During Hurricanes?
When a hurricane or tropical storm strikes, the Red Cross provides shelter, food and comfort.
LEARN ABOUT RED CROSS HURRICANE RELIEF
How Can You Stay Safe After a Hurricane?
Don’t return home until you’re told it’s safe.
If you evacuated, don’t return home until local officials have declared that it is safe to enter your community and you have the supplies you will need. If your home was damaged by hurricane-force winds or flooding after the storm, it should be carefully inspected and thoroughly cleaned.
· Wait for officials to say it is safe before going back home.
· Avoid damaged or fallen power lines, poles, and downed wires. They can electrocute you.
· Do not touch floodwaters because they may contain sewage, bacteria and chemicals that can make you ill.
· Prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. Gasoline, propane, natural gas, or charcoal-burning devices should never be used inside a home, basement, garage, tent, or camper – or even outside near an open window. Carbon monoxide can’t be seen or smelled, but it can kill you fast. If you start to feel sick, dizzy, or weak,
get to fresh air right away – do not delay.
How to Clean Up Safely
· Wear appropriate protective equipment including gloves, goggles and boots.
· Clean and disinfect everything that got wet.
· When cleaning heavy debris, work with a partner. Make sure that you have proper training before using equipment, such as chainsaws.
· Heart attacks are a leading cause of deaths after a hurricane. Be mindful of overworking.
Tips to Stay Healthy
When in doubt, throw it out!
Throw out food that got wet or warm. Ask your healthcare provider for guidance if you have refrigerated medicines that got warm.
· Avoid drinking tap water until local officials say it is safe.
Take Care of Yourself
· It’s normal to have a lot of feelings.
· Eat healthy food and get enough sleep to help you deal with stress.
· You can contact the Disaster Distress Helpline for free if you need to talk to someone at 1-800-985-5990 or text “TalkWithUs’ to 66746.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.