STAT 3021 Minneapolis Community and Technical College Statistics Problems

HW 5
STAT 3021
Q1. For each of these following examples, define the random variable of interest and recognize
their distributions respectively (one of the distributions learnt in class- Binomial, Multinomial,
Hypergeometric, Negative Binomial, Geometric, Poisson). Do not solve the problems in this part.
For example, you find a r.v. X given in the question follows a binomial distribution. Then you
need to specify the parameters B(n =?, p =?) according to our slides.
1. An oil company conducts a geological study that indicates that an exploratory oil well should
have a 20% chance of striking oil. What is the probability that the first strike comes on the
third well drilled?
2. Suppose you are given a 3 question multiple-choice test. Each question has 4 responses and
only one is correct. Suppose you want to find the probability that you can just guess at the
answers and get 2 questions right.
3. A crate contains 50 light bulbs of which 5 are defective and 45 are not. A Quality Control
Inspector randomly samples 4 bulbs without replacement. What is the probability that 4
bulbs are defective?
4. Let’s say that 80% of all business startups in the IT industry report that they generate a
profit in their first year. If a sample of 10 new IT business startups is selected, find the
probability that exactly seven will generate a profit in their first year.
5. Bob is a high school basketball player. He is a 70% free throw shooter. That means his
probability of making a free throw is 0.70. During the season, what is the probability that
Bob makes his third free throw on his fifth shot?
6. Your basketball team is playing a series of 5 games against your opponent. The winner is
those who wins more games (out of 5). Let assume that your team is much more skilled and
has 75% chances of winning. It means there is a 25% chance of losing. What is the probability
of your team gets 3 wins?
7. Births in a hospital occur randomly at an average rate of 1.8 births per hour. What is the
probability of observing 4 births in a given hour at the hospital?
8. Bob is a high school basketball player. He is a 70% free throw shooter. That means his
probability of making a free throw is 0.70. During the season, what is the probability that
Bob makes his first free throw on his fifth shot?
9. A box of candies has many different colors in it. There is a 15% chance of getting a pink
candy. What is the probability that exactly 4 candies in a box are pink out of 10?
10. A deck of cards contains 20 cards: 6 red cards and 14 black cards. 5 cards are drawn randomly
without replacement. What is the probability that exactly 4 red cards are drawn?
STAT 3021
HW 5
11. In a certain town, 40% of the eligible voters prefer candidate A, 10% prefer candidate B, and
the remaining 50% have no preference. You randomly sample 10 eligible voters. What is the
probability that 4 will prefer candidate A, 1 will prefer candidate B, and the remaining 5 will
have no preference?
12. A small voting district has 101 female voters and 95 male voters. A random sample of 10
voters is drawn. What is the probability exactly 7 of the voters will be female?
13. Suppose you knew that the mean number of calls to a fire station on a weekday is 8. What
is the probability that on a given weekday there would be 11 calls?
14. An experiment of drawing a random card from an ordinary playing cards deck is done with
replacing it back. This was done ten times. Find the probability of getting 2 spades, 3
diamond, 3 club and 2 hearts.
15. It is known that 20% of products on a production line are defective. Products are inspected
until first defective is encountered. What is the probability that the first defective was found
after inspecting exactly 3 products?
16. A man was able to complete 3 files a day on an average. Find the probability that he can
complete 5 files the next day.
Q2. Answer the following questions from the book:
• Section 5.2(Binomial and multinomial): 5.4, 5.18, 5.79
• Section 5.3(Hypergeometric): 5.32, 5.40
• Section 5.4(Negative binomial and geometric): 5.90,5.91
• Section 5.5(Poisson): 5.58, 5.62, 5.68

Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
STAT 3021 Minneapolis Community and Technical College Statistics Problems
Just from $13/Page
Order Essay
Achiever Essays
Calculate your paper price
Pages (550 words)
Approximate price: -

Why Work with Us

Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers

We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.

Professional and Experienced Academic Writers

We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.

Free Unlimited Revisions

If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.

Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee

All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.

Original & Confidential

We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.

24/7 Customer Support

Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.

Try it now!

Calculate the price of your order

Total price:

How it works?

Follow these simple steps to get your paper done

Place your order

Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.

Proceed with the payment

Choose the payment system that suits you most.

Receive the final file

Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.

Our Services

No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.


Essay Writing Service

No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.


Admission Essays & Business Writing Help

An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.


Editing Support

Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.


Revision Support

If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.

Live Chat+1(978) 822-0999EmailWhatsApp

Order your essay today and save 20% with the discount code RESEARCH

slot online
seoartvin escortizmir escortelazığ escortbacklink satışbacklink saleseskişehir oto kurtarıcıeskişehir oto kurtarıcıoto çekicibacklink satışbacklink satışıbacklink satışbacklink